Raymond Carver Writing Festival
Youth Poetry Contest
Poetry contest guidelines:
This poetry contest is open to young people, ages 8-18, who live in the Clatskanie School District. Awards will be presented for first and second place winners in each of the following age categories:
Ages 8-10 Ages 11-12
Ages 13-15 Ages 16-18
Poetry will be judged on:
Attention to contest theme: “Happiness. It comes on unexpectedly. And goes beyond, really, any early morning talk about it.”
Poetic elements: use of poetic elements such as imagery, repetition, alliteration, use of stanzas, metaphor/simile, rhythm, rhyme, etc.
Spelling, grammar, and punctuation
1) Only two entries per person will be accepted, regardless of category.
2) Poems must be received by 5pm on April 30th.
3) Clatskanie Library District is not responsible for late, lost, stolen, misdirected, damaged, incomplete or illegible submissions, or postage-due mail.
4) Confirmation of receipt and comments on your entry will not be provided, nor will your entry be returned to you.
5) There will be two winners selected in each age group. A $50 prize will be awarded for first place and a $25 prize will be awarded for second place.
6) Judges’ decisions are final.
7) Winners will be notified prior to the Raymond Carver Writing Festival.
8) Poem and official entry form may be submitted by any one of the following methods:
Emailed to email@example.com
Dropped off at the Clatskanie Library District, 11 Lillich Street Clatskanie, OR 97016, or
Mailed to Clatskanie Library District, PO Box 577, Clatskanie, OR 97016
Entry Form:23 Youth Entry Form (1).pdf