Poetry contest guidelines:
This poetry contest is open to young people, ages 8-18, who live in the Clatskanie School District. Awards will be presented for first and second place winners in each of the following age categories:
Ages 8-10 Ages 11-12
Ages 13-15 Ages 16-18
Poetry will be judged on:
Attention to contest theme: “I’ll take all the time I please this afternoon before leaving my place alongside the river.”
Poetic elements: use of poetic elements such as imagery, repetition, alliteration, use of stanzas, metaphor/simile, rythme, rhyme, etc.
Spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Only one entry per person will be accepted.
- Poems must be submitted no later than April 30th at 5 p.m.
- Clatskanie Arts Commission is not responsible for late, lost, stolen, misdirected, damaged, incomplete or illegible submissions, or postage-due mail.
- Confirmation of receipt and comments on your entry will not be provided, nor will your entry be returned to you.
- Your entry must be original and unpublished, either in print or online, including personal blogs, Facebook, Twitter, or other social media sites. It cannot be currently under review for publication, either.
- There will be two winners selected in each age group. A $50 prize will be awarded for first place and a $25 prize will be awarded for second place.
- Winners will be announced at the end of the Raymond Carver Writing Festival and poems will be published on the Clatskanie Arts Commission website:www.clatskaniearts.org
- Poem and official entry form may be submitted by any one of the following methods:
Emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Dropped off at the Clatskanie Library District, 11 Lillich Street Clatskanie, OR 97016, OR
Mailed to Clatskanie Arts Commission, PO Box 1110, Clatskanie, OR 97016
Official Entry Form